Schools Sector visa (subclass 571)

This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time school course.


You might be able to get this visa if you are:

– enrolled as a student at a primary or secondary school
– participating in a secondary school exchange program.

This visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia and whose main course of study is:

– A primary school course
– A secondary school course, including junior and senior secondary or
– An approved secondary school exchange program.

Note: If the applicant is not a secondary exchange student, the year or level of school study that the applicant intends to undertake must not be a year or level that is more than 18 months below a year or level that the applicant has previously undertaken in Australia or another country.

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if you want to do one of the following:

– Apply for your first student visa
– Apply for subsequent student visa
– Apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.

If you are applying in Australia for this visa, you must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application.

How much will this visa cost?

There is an application charge for this visa. We do not usually refund the visa application charge, even if the visa application is refused or withdrawn.

What does the visa let me do?

With this visa:

– You can study in Australia
– Eligible dependant family members can accompany you to Australia
– When you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks
– Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia

Note: If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.

Your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.

Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.