ELICOS visa (subclass 570)

Independent ELICOS Sector Visa

This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).


You might be able to get this visa if you are enrolled as a student in a registered English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS).

About the Visa:

This visa is for international students who want to study English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) in Australia. This includes:

– courses that lead to a certificate I, II, III or IV
– courses that result in no formal Australian award.

If you are studying ELICOS as a pre-requisite to another course, you must apply for the visa appropriate to your main course of study. If you are studying several courses, the main course is the higher level course.

Example: If you plan to complete a three-month ELICOS before starting a Bachelor of Arts degree, you must apply for the Higher Education Sector visa.

Important: Before you apply for this visa, you must have been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia.

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if you want to do one of the following:
– Apply for your first student visa
– Apply for a subsequent student visa
– Apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.

If you are applying in Australia for this visa, you must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application.

How much will this visa cost?

There is an application charge for this visa. We do not usually refund the visa application charge, even if the visa application is refused or withdrawn.

What does this visa let me do?

With this visa:
– You can study in Australia
– Your dependant family members may accompany you to Australia if:
– You are a fully funded applicant


– You will be or have been studying an ELICOS course or courses of 12 months or more duration
– When you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.
– Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia.

Note: If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.

Your partner (if eligible to accompany you to Australia) can study in Australia for up to three months.

Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.