Higher Education (subclass 573)

Higher Education Sector visa

This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time higher education course.

Streamlined Visa Processing

Streamlined visa processing for this visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia at a participating education provider. You may be eligible for streamlined visa processing if your main course of study is a Advanced diploma, Bachelor degree or a Masters by coursework.


You might be able to get this visa if you are enrolled as a student in a registered course for the award of:

– A bachelor or associate degree
– A graduate certificate or graduate diploma
– A master’s degree by coursework
– A higher education diploma or advanced diploma.

About the visa:

This visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia and whose main course of study is one of the following:

Bachelor degree
associate degree
graduate certificate
graduate diploma
Masters by coursework
Higher Education diploma
Higher Education advanced diploma.

Who is this visa for?:

This visa is for you if you want to do one of the following:

– apply for your first student visa
– apply for subsequent student visa
– apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.

If you are applying in Australia for this visa, you must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application.

How much will this visa cost?

There is an application charge for this visa. We do not usually refund the visa application charge, even if the visa application is refused or withdrawn.

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

What does the visa let me do?

With this visa:

– You can study in Australia
– Eligible dependant family members can accompany you to Australia
– When you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.
– Your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia. If you are doing a postgraduate course, such as a Master’s degree, your family members can work unlimited hours once you commence this course.

Note: If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.

Your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.

Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.